Saturday, January 23, 2010

I made buns!

I love the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog, and check it often for dinner ideas. Today honey bran buns were posted. I have never made buns before, aside from rolling buns for my mom when I was a kid. I felt like I should try this, so I did. Watching my mom take all day Saturday to make a batch of bread (and then cinnamon buns), I knew it would take some time, but it was surprisingly easier than I thought.

And they turned out great. They don't look the best (I need to learn to roll buns better), but they tasted surprisingly good. They are 2/3 white and 1/3 whole wheat flour, with bran cereal and honey. I wasn't sure if they'd be heavy, given the bran and whole wheat, but they are nice and light and tasty.
Depak was glad (and surprised) to come home to fresh baked bread. I have to admit, the house smelled good. So, I think I'll make buns more often. There's something satisfying about home baking, although I didn't appreciate it much as a kid.

3 comments:

Elise Susanne said...

It's too true! I love the smell of freshly baked bread and it is definitely very fulfilling to make something from scratch. Good job Tillie!

Barb said...

Way to go, Tillie!!

Andy said...

way to go Tillie! I saw that recipe and thought about tackling it..but I wasn't feeling brave that day!