Thursday, August 20, 2009

perishky and the pool

We are so blessed to be loved by our church family. Mrs. Redekop is one special lady that has taken me in and taught me a few of the secrets to Mennonite cooking. And although she's already taught me how to make perishky (a wonderful apple turnover of sorts - although you can subsitute the apple for any fruit in season, as Mrs. Redekop does not purchase fruit for baking), she has invited me back year after year now to bake for a day. The baking starts around 10am and lasts until nearly 4pm. We stop for lunch, and then after the full day, she invites my husband and a few other couples over for dinner and cards. It becomes nearly a 12 hour affair, and I love it every time.
My girls are so welcome at Elizabeth's as well. They have free reigh over the family room, hanging outside, and even swimming in the pool. Chelsea has brought Steph out for two years now, and the girls not only help out with Natalie, they also get to enjoy the yard and the pool when Nat's not around. Nat and I did get a swim in after her long nap, a great way to end the afternoon.


Tim also joined us this year, and he had a mission that day, to develop a relationship with Nat. What a goal for a teenager, I am very proud. Well, did he ever do an amazing job. He hung out with Nat and had her sitting on his lap while playing cards.


I treasure my time with Mrs. Redekop. I wish to have only a portion of her strength at her age, and her strong dedication to her faith. Thankyou.

1 comment:

Andy said...

You're right...she is a sweetheart and I think we can learn lots from her! I had a borscht making day with her awhile back and learned so much more than just how to make borscht! Glad that you guys have found this wonderful tradition!